Tasty gluten free apple crumble recipe
Over the years I have created my favourite gluten free apple crumble recipe that is safe and tasty for the whole family to enjoy.
The first time my son tried it he said:
"I'm more than happy to taste your gluten free dessert experiments, Mum! That was so gorgeous!"
Coming from a chef, I was more than pleased with that comment.
Many people struggle with ideas for gluten free desserts, and this is a really simple pudding that anyone can make. A good opportunity to use up all those windfall apples in the garden, perhaps?
- 1lb / 450g cooking apples
- 2 cloves
- 4oz / 115g granulated sugar
- 4oz / 115g butter or margarine
- 4oz / 115g rice flour (or rice ground in a coffee grinder or grain mill)
- 3oz / 85g desiccated coconut
- 2oz / 55g ground almonds
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Peel, core and chop the apples (or you could leave the skins on for more fibre), then place in the bottom of a pie dish. Pop in the cloves and sprinkle with a little of the sugar.
- Rub the margarine or butter into the ground rice/rice flour until it resembles breadcrumbs. Then add in the rest of the sugar, coconut and ground almonds. Mix well.
- Spread the crumble mixture on top of the apples.
- Bake in a fairly hot oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve this crumble with cream, yoghurt, or gluten free custard.
Variations on a crumble theme
Substitute the apples with rhubarb, blackberries, or prunes and reduce the cooking time by 10 minutes.
More gluten free desserts.
Home Page -
Gluten Free Recipes -
Apple Crumble Recipe