Gluten Free Chicken Recipes
A collection of gluten free chicken recipes always comes in handy for dinner time.
Chicken is by nature a gluten free food. However, that can change depending on how you cook it. Smother it in a wheat-flour thickened sauce, or coat it in batter or breadcrumbs and its off the menu, I'm afraid.
However, there are lots of recipes that can be easily adapted, by
using, for instance, cornflour (cornstarch) or arrowroot as a thickener
instead of wheat flour. Recipes that have a coating such as chicken nuggets can also be made gluten free if you use "safe" ingredients.
It is always worth checking a main stream cookery book for chicken recipes as many don't contain any "poisonous" ingredients.
fries are always a good standby, and the only thing you might need to
change is the soy sauce, as in my son's recipe below...
Ben's Chicken and Leek stir fry
Stir frys are quick and easy to cook. Adding leeks may be unusual, but it does give a nice flavor.
- 2 medium chicken breasts
- Tamari soy sauce (see box below)
- olive oil
- 1 large onion (peeled and chopped)
- 1 green, yellow or red pepper (cored, seeded and sliced)
- 2 leeks (cut into strips)
- 2 carrots (cut into strips)
- 4oz mushrooms (sliced)
- bean sprouts (optional)
- tinned water chestnuts (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Long grain rice
Most soy sauces are processed using wheat. Stick to Tamari soy sauce which is gluten free.
- Cut the chicken breasts into strips, lay in a bowl and sprinkle with soy sauce and freshly ground black pepper. (Do not add salt as the soy sauce is already salted.) If you have time leave them to marinade for between 10 minutes to 24 hours.
- Heat the oil in a wok or deep frying pan. Seal the chicken for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the carrots, onions, peppers (Ben used a little of each coloured pepper) and leeks and continue to stir fry for another 4 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, bean sprouts and water chestnuts (if using) and fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Tip the remaining marinade into the pan for extra flavour.
- As soon as the meat is cooked through serve on a bed of boiled rice. The vegetables should retain some crunch.
To ring the changes, instead of serving this dish with rice, why not try quinoa?
I wanted to share
A friend in Canada also pointed me in the direction of Bragg Liquid Aminos
which is an ideal gluten free substitute for Soy Sauce if you can't find Tamari. Thanks Natasha.
Home Page -
Chicken stir fry