The best homemade meatball recipe
Why do I consider this to be the best homemade meatball recipe? Well it is tasty, great if you need to cook quick meals on a budget and of course, it is safe for celiac's if you use gluten free breadcrumbs.
My son, who is a chef, cooks this for paying guests, but he shared his recipe with me and we eat it regularly at home. Now it is my turn to introduce you to Ben's meatballs in tomato sauce.
This meatball recipe may look like it takes a lot of work, but it really doesn't.
I will explain how to make meatballs step-by-step so that anyone can
make them. You can have dinner on the table in under an hour!
Making the sauce
- 1 onion
- 1 green or red pepper (capsicum)
- Oil (such as coconut oil)
- 2 tins plum tomatoes
- 1 tsp garlic puree
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 tsps paprika
- 1 tsp brown sugar (optional)
- Chop the onion and pepper really finely. Then sauté them in the olive oil and butter until they are soft.
- While they are cooking, take your food processor or liquidizer, and empty in the two tins of tomatoes, along with the garlic and tomato purees. Whizz them around until smooth.
- Once the onions are soft, add the tomato mixture along with a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Sprinkle in the mixed herbs and paprika.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, not forgetting to taste and adjust the seasoning if required. If the sauce tastes a little bitter add the sugar. You may also need to add a little water part way through, to thin the sauce down if necessary.
How to make meatballs
- 2 slices gluten free bread
- 1 pound ground beef or mince
- 1 egg
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- gf flour for shaping
- Place the metal blade in your food processor and whizz the gluten free bread into breadcrumbs.
- Add the meat to the food processor, break in the egg and add a little seasoning. Run the machine until the ingredients are combined and smooth.
- Take a small handful of mixture and shape into balls in the palm of your hand. Try to get all the meatballs around the same size so that they cook in the same amount of time.
Seal the meatballs
- Tip a little gluten free flour onto a plate, then roll the meatballs in the flour to coat them.
- Heat a little oil in a pan and then pop in the meatballs to seal them. You can tell if the oil is hot enough by holding the back of your hand over the pan. if it is too hot to keep it there for very long, then it is hot enough.
- Remove the meatballs from the pan as they are browned on the outside.
Cooking the oven baked meatballs
- Place the sealed meatballs in an oven proof dish, big enough to fit them all in on one layer.
- Pour over the sauce and cover tightly with a lid or aluminum foil. Cook for 30 minutes or until tender on a medium heat, 180C/350F/Gas mark 4.
- Serve with rice, mashed potatoes, millet or quinoa.
I hope you will agree that this is the best homemade meatball recipe you have ever tasted.
Home Page -
Homemade Meatball Recipe