Cheesy Cornmeal pancakes
Cornmeal pancakes make a great gluten free breakfast favorite but add in some cheese and sweetcorn and they are filling enough for a lunch too.
Simple and quick to make from storecupboard ingredients you can have a meal on the table in less than 30 minutes with this gluten free pancake recipe.
This recipe calls for yellow maize meal, however, be aware that if you live in the USA, regular cornstarch may not be gluten free.
- 1 tbsp olive oil (plus a little more for frying)
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk (or milk substitute)
- 1 cup (4 oz) yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup (2 oz) rice flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 small tin sweetcorn (whole kernel corn), drained
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
How to make your cornmeal pancakes
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs in a bowl, then add in the milk. Whisk in the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add the corn and cheese, along with the remaining olive oil and mix gently.
- Take about 1/4 cup of mixture for each pancake and pour into the pan. Leave for a couple of minutes, gently shaking the pan once or twice, then turn the pancake over and cook the other side for another 2 minutes.
- I like to serve these corn pancakes with sliced tomato or a salad for lunch, or I leave out the cheese and serve with sliced apple or strawberries for breakfast.
- Cold gluten free pancakes can be spread with butter or margarine and eaten like bread.
More gluten free pancakes
If you love pancakes you might like to try out the following gluten free pancake recipes...
Home Page -