A recipe for Mexican dip
to tickle your taste buds
Shop bought dips are often not gluten free, so here is a homemade recipe for Mexican dip that is safe for Celiac sufferers to eat.
Red kidney beans are the most popular bean used today. What would a chilli con carne be without them? But why stop there? There are many other things you can use them for!
This dip can be used as an appetizer or as part of a packed lunch. Try it with sticks of cool cucumber, crispy carrot, celery or other vegetables. Its also great served with any gluten free crisps (or chips) or hot with gluten free toast.
- 6oz dried red kidney beans
- 2 oz vegetable oil
- 4 oz grated cheddar cheese (use vegetarian cheese if necessary)
- 1 tsp chilli powder (check it is gluten free)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Start by washing the beans thoroughly. Then place them in a bowl and cover with cold water. Leave them to stand in the refrigerator overnight. If you can, change the water at least once. This helps to avoid any embarrassing flatulence problems!
- The next day, drain the beans and place in a medium sized saucepan. Cover with fresh water and bring to the boil.
- Cover and boil rapidly for at least 10 minutes. This step is important to destroy the toxin that is contained in the beans.
- Reduce the heat and simmer over a low heat until the beans are soft. This will take around 1.5 hours.
- Then drain the cooked beans over a bowl, reserving the cooking liquid.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the beans, mashing them with a potato masher until you have a smooth mixture. Add some of the reserved liquid if the mixture seems to be too dry. Stir constantly.
- Add the grated cheese and chilli powder. Stir until the cheese melts. Season to taste.
- To eat hot, pour the dip into a warmed bowl and serve with toast or freshly baked gluten free bread rolls. Or pop into a thermos flask for your lunch at work.
- To serve cold refrigerate in a covered bowl or box.
I do hope you will try this recipe for Mexican dip at your next party or for a healthy gluten free snack at any time.
Home Page -