How to make gluten free turkey gravy
Homemade turkey gravy is the ideal accompaniment to your roast turkey Christmas or Thanksgiving Dinner.
However, if you have to follow a gluten free diet, you may have had trouble finding a suitable manufactured gravy mix.
I am often asked questions like "Is OXO gluten free?" or "how do I thicken gluten free gravy?". Well OXO is not gluten free, neither is Bisto. If you scroll down the page you will see some commercial gluten free gravy mixes, but why not try making your own?
The method of making gravy below, is delicious if you want to start from scratch.
Ingredients for Turkey Gravy
- giblets and neck from turkey
- bay leaf
- black peppercorns, about 5 or 6
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 .2 litres (2 pints) water
- 5 tbsp roasting juices from turkey
- 4 tbsp arrowroot or cornflour (cornstarch)
NOTE: Frozen turkeys may not include the giblets and neck. Fresh birds usually have them popped inside in a little plastic bag which you will want to remove before cooking!!
Making the gravy
- Place the turkey giblets, neck, bay leaf, peppercorns and onion in a pan of water.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for about 1 hour. Strain and reserve the liquid.
- Take the turkey out of the roasting pan and cover with foil while it rests.
- Place the roasting pan on the stove top and gently heat the turkey juices that are left in it. Sprinkle in the arrowroot or cornflour, and stir, until smooth.
- Stir in the reserved stock and increase the heat until the gravy comes to the boil, by which time it should be smooth and thick.
- Pour into a serving dish or jug.
All that is left is to enjoy your roast turkey, gravy and all the trimmings.
Click here for instructions for cooking the rest of the Christmas dinner.